20070731

Editing your MySpace page Outside Of Myspace

This article was inspired by the numerous glitches in the myspace system, the long save wait times, the captcha not working, and those tiny edit boxes in the interests area.

To avoid as much frustration as possible; I now do all of my changes OUTSIDE of the myspace editor.

If I am working on any type of Div Overlay, I don't even bother with the default myspace page, when I am creating my div.
I just do this:

- Open Notepad
- Start my document by inserting the following code:
<html>
<link rel="STYLESHEET" type="text/css" href="http://x.myspace.com/js/myspace.css" />

</html>

Then I insert my code above the </html>

To test it I save as type .html (I choose all types and add the .html extension).
I then test it in both of my browsers (FF and IE) before even attempting to put it on my myspace page.

If I am testing style that is designed to work with, or override, the myspace core code, I instead do this:

Prepare yourself a Template
This step does use the myspace editor.

Go into the myspace page editor.
At the TOP of each data entry box put this:
<span class="off">!-START Custom Edits in .. -!</span>

At the END of each data entry box put this:
<span class="off">!-END Custom Edits in .. -!</span>

Replace the .. With the name of the section, if desired.
Save your Profile.
View Your profile.

While Viewing your profile, View Source.
If you are in IE (Windows) a clipboard (also called notepad) should appear with the source code in it.
If you are in FF a new window will appear with the code in it.
I prefer IE for this particular task.
SAVE this as type html.

If you are using notepad you can do it like this:
File
Save As
when you get the pop up
Save as Type, select ALL Files.
Choose a name, and add .html as the extension.

Now if you double click on the filename, it will open in a browser.
That is how you will test it.
You can edit it in notepad.
Save your changes
And then refresh your view page to see the effect of the changes.


Because we entered our span blocks we can now easily locate the points where we want to insert the code.
Try this (in notepad)
Edit
Find
type in span class="off"
Notice it takes you to your span block.


I usually insert a fair amount of whitespace above and below each of my span comment blocks. (Because we have put these span blocks in class off, they can serve as comments.)

Once you are done editing and testing outside of myspace, you can easily find the code blocks you need to paste into the myspace editor.

Blog Archive

About This Blog

I am in the process of moving my myspace content to this blog.
Right now it is split between 4 different blogs.
I started playing with myspace code customization in late February 2007 after my niece convinced me to get a page.
When I first started writing code for people, I had no intent of publishing any of it, or even writing as much as I did.

I do not claim that all of my code is better than anything else out there. I have come across a few pages with some pretty good code on them. But for the most part, the same exact codes, with the same side effects and same lack of comments exists on many many pages.
My code is my own. Only the very simple routines (those where the best solution is obvious) are the same as the masses. If I find something good out there, that I did not write myself, I will link to it instead of re-creating it.
First I will test it.